Wednesday, November 10, 2010

NY, NY and thinking about working while not working

Kate Pruitt writes for Design Sponge and used to do windows for Anthropologie. Dream! Here's a post she wrote for DS with tips for how to design and think about windows, even if you're a very small business: window display

I can't quote the adage perfectly, but that saying about things finding you when you stop looking for them? - literally happening to me this week. At least, in the job sense.

I am taking a vacation from unemployment and visiting the East Coast! Of course I can't be looking for a job, I am RELAXING (and eating lots of food). I got a request to design/implement store windows for a boutique, and two sales jobs from different retailers. Granted, I am asking myself if I really want to do sales again (NO!) but money is low and maybe I could do part time seasonal? Here are random jobs I am signed up for right now and things I might start doing:

Implemented:
- twice a week babysitting
- chocolate making approximately once a week, could pick up some hours on the business side

About to begin:
- knitting scarves for a designer who has an online boutique

In limbo:
- cashiering at a frozen yogurt shop, possibly doing some blog-y/marketing work

On the discussion table:
- store windows for clothing boutique! possibly selling some wares in store, possibly picking up some sewing work
- seasonal sales at Banana Republic (although I applied for a stylist position)
- seasonal sales at Anthropologie (in my tangible dreams I would do windows here)

Hot on the pursuit of:
- visual merchandising at Macys. I want to learn how to do windows the "right way" (I know there's no real "right way"! I enjoy perspective from people who've done it, who have tips or systems of working who could take my clueless newbie self under their downy wing. Realistic - I know.) I have a contact or two. Now to get my foot in the door.

So yeah that's going on.

New York is as beautiful as is said in the holiday season. It is cold-windy and sunny, everything glitters with Christmas decorations, the trees in Central Park are gold and auburn, the marathon adds a layer of unity and pride to the emotional current, the Rockettes are performing their holiday showcase, and a burger from Shake Shack is that much better!

No comments: